According to Media Post, 72% of American adults with internet access use social networking sites. Another study by eMarketer showed that 37% of social network users polled use social media to research brands, products, or services before making a purchase.
People were skeptical of social media for business in the beginning, but with the explosion of social media over the last few years, you would be hard pressed to find a marketing expert who does not recommend social media as part of a holistic marketing strategy.
To some entrepreneurs, social media marketing is the “next big thing,”
According to Hubspot, 92% of marketers in 2014 claimed that social media marketing was important for their business, with 80% indicating their efforts increased traffic to their websites.
Social media has expanded over the years to include six primary categories, each with its own unique set of characteristics.
They include the following:
- Social networks: A social network site is a social media site that allows users to connect and share with people who have similar interests and backgrounds. Facebook is the most popular example of a social network website.
- Bookmarking sites: These sites allow users to save and organize links to any number of online resources and websites. A great feature of these services is the ability for the user to tag links, which makes them easier to search, and invariably, share with their followers.StumbleUpon is a popular example of a bookmarking site.
- Social news: This is a social news site that allows its users to post news links and other items to outside articles. Users then vote on said items, and the items with the highest number of votes are most prominently displayed. A good example of a social news site is Reddit.
- Media sharing: Media sharing websites allow users to share different types of media, such as pictures and video. Most of these sites also offer social features, like the ability to create profiles and the option of commenting on the uploaded images. YouTube is the most well-known media sharing site in the world.
- Micro blogging: These are just what they sound like, sites that allow the users to submit short written entries, which can include links to product and service sites, as well as links to other social media sites. These are then posted on the walls of everyone who has subscribed to that user's account. The most commonly used micro blogging website is Twitter.
- Blog comments and forums: An online forum is a site that lets users engage in conversations by posting and responding to community messages. A blog comment site is the same thing except a little more focused. The comments are usually centered around the specific subject of the attached blog. Google has a popular blogging site aptly titled, Blogger. However, there are a seemingly endless number of blogging sites, particularly because so many of them are niche-based, unlike the universal appeal of general social media sites.
From a small business perspective, social media marketing is more than just merely gaining likes, fans, repins and retweets, but rather getting the following top benefits, and more, that will make a great impact on the business.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING WITH US AT CAVIAR WEB DESIGN:
- Social Media Marketing Increases Website Traffic and Search Ranking – The Hubspot report mentioned earlier claims that businesses do treat social media marketing as an important business tool. What is more notable however is that 80% of these marketers claimed that social media is indeed effective in helping generate more website traffic.
- Social Media Marketing Generates Leads at Minimum Costs –Another benefit of social media marketing is that you can generate valuable leads at just a fraction of the cost of what it would take you when using traditional techniques – saving you as much as 80% of your lead generation costs.
- Social Media Marketing Boosts Content Marketing – Changes in search engine algorithms have placed greater importance on content, particularly in the creation and distribution of high-quality content that generates leads and converts them into sales. In fact, content marketing was touted as the most commercially important digital marketing trend for 2015 according to the recent digital marketing trends poll from Smart Insight.
- Social Media Marketing Increases Brand Awareness – With its huge user base, social media presents a great channel for increasing brand awareness and new customer generation, as what 78% of small businesses that use social media marketing have experienced.
Social Media Marketing Gives You Great Audience Insight
- Social Media Marketing Improves Brand Loyalty – One of the major strengths of social media marketing is engagement. It is the “social” in social media, where brands can have a great opportunity to interact and engage with targeted audiences. It is from the strong connection developed through engagement where loyal customers and brand ambassadors are born.
If you are not using social media marketing today, we recommend you to start with us at Caviar Web design and be rest assured of professional social media marketing skills to promote your businesses and needs that you can trust.
Marketing is no longer about the stuff that you make, but about the stories lets help you achieve that.